- The original partnership was dissolved and Homfray was joined by the Harfords, capitalists and Quakers from Bristol.
1796 the entire operation was taken over by the Harfords.
1818 – 1820 - The forge, and extensive iron bottom puddling furnaces for refining iron were introduced and rolling mills for bars and plates were built. The Sirhowy Iron Works and Colleries which had been in operation since 1760 was acquired. The single furnace operation was expanded and four blast cupola furnaces were subsequently built.
1829 – 35 - These years heralded the start of the railway era. Ebbw Vale Works was well equipped to supply rails for Liverpool and Manchester railway and the Stockton & Darlington Railway Co.
A tunnel for a horse tram road was driven for over a mile under the hillside to the Sirhowy Works enabling iron to be brought to the Ebbw Vale forge speedily. The Works also introduced steam locomotives on its own tram roads.
1842 - Through some commercial mischance Messrs Harford’s business dealings in the southern states of the USA took a set back. The Ebbw Vale Works was taken over by Trustees.
1844 - The Company was bought by Messrs Abraham Darby & Co of Coalbrookdale. The partners were – Abraham Darby, Henry Dickenson, Joseph Robinson, J Tothill and Thomas Brown the latter being designated managing partner.
1848 - The Ebbw Vale Company was formed and the works went from strength to strength, absorbing four other ironworks at Abersychan, Sirhowy and Pontypool. The lease of the Victoria Iron Works, was acquired from Lord Llanover (Sir Benjamin Hall). The works was located two miles south consisted of three blast furnaces puddling mills built in 1836 by Monmouthshire Iron & Coal Company.
1850 – Great economy in blast furnace practice was achieved at the works. George Parry, Messrs Darby’s chemist, was the first to adopt the cup and cone successfully on blast furnaces.
1852 The Ebbw Vale Co bought the Abersychan Works consisting of six blast furnaces.
1853 Iron ore fields were purchased in the Brendon Hills Somerset followed by the acquisition of ore fields in Bilbao, Spain and the Forest of Dean.
1855 The Company expanded and acquired extensive interests in Pontypool comprising of four furnaces, a forge, tinplate works and collieries.
1857 George Parry of Ebbw Vale conducted experiments in converting iron into superior wrought iron or steel. He was one of a number of chemists who successfully produced a process. It was Henry Bessemer who patented one which was commercially viable and afterwards it was adopted at Ebbw Vale. The Steel Age had arrived.
1863 Approximately 100,000 tons of rail and merchant bars were being produced per annum. Apart from the Iron Works and Collieries at Ebbw Vale, Sirhowy, Victoria, Abersychan, Pontypool and Abercarn it also had six wharfs at Newport, the Hematite mine in the Forest of Dean and Spathic ore mines in Brendon Hills. At various works there were 19 blast furnaces, 192 puddling furnaces, 99 heating furnaces and 1200 workman’s houses. The colliery leases comprised of 7500 acres of land.